Finish Line Racing: A Global Forza Racing Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finish Line Racing: A Global Forza Racing Community

Race Hard, Clean, and Fair. Have Fun!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to Finish Line Racing, Guest!
| • • • |
Check out the latest Update! Click Here
| • • • |
Please be sure to read the FLR Offical Acceptable Use Policy!
| • • • |
Please remember to become a fan of FLR on Facebook and follow @FLR_League on Twitter for all news and updates!
| • • • |
If you need any Official FLR decals, just search "FLR" on the storefront!
| • • • |
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm

GibberMD wrote:
Ok i dont mean to jump on anyones toes here or anything like that but Metz last comment there about testing umpteen cars to find the one you like, well to me thats exactly what its all about.

I have spent the last week and abit tunning my S5. I have worked very hard to get this car right. I have spent over 200 laps on mugello tunning this S5 to get it the way i like it. and before that i spent 100+ laps in a regular Murci, but i couldnt get it the way that i liked it.

I got in the S5 and thought right ill need a couple of laps here to get close to the time i made in the Lambo... well no i didnt 3rd laps and i had posted a time much faster than the lambo. Why would i then choose the lambo over the S5?

Im here to have fun, but for me fun might be something different then what everyone else thinks it might be for them. Fun for me is trying to win.

And I think you pointed out the issue right there. As you said, your 3rd lap in the S5 you bettered it right away almost. Not saying its a bad thing I just think thats the issue thats trying to be addressed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:40 pm

But if you disallow the cars that i enjoy driving then the game ceases to be fun for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 pm

another thought is if you disallow what is considered a leaderboard car then the car that is 2nd best becomes the top car to have, if everyone figures that out then its just another group of cars lol
Back to top Go down
Metzkill1
Metzkill1

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Don't get me wrong here, I have no problem with this guys. It is what it is. I'm just suggesting some other options as I would have no chance to run 300 laps and test a bunch of cars for one series. Again, I stated in my post there are many out there that this is the reason they like the game. No problem with it at all.

My guess is we'll continue to run series like we are starting this week and we will have series that are more defined or restricted. There will be something for everyone!

No one wants the game not to be fun! The fun starts tomorrow!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 1:38 pm

The problem I see lies with the spirit of trying to stay competitive.

There is nothing wrong with the S5, or any leaderboard car. The conflict arises when someone takes a LB car, and places a time so "good" that many feel the only way to beat is to use that same LB car. The mentality here is that you almost HAVE to use the s5, or the datsun, or the Mazda Dyson, otherwise no matter how good you think you are, you can't reach that time. (And there's truth to both sides of that statement)

Yes, driver skill takes a huge role in things, as just because you use a LB car, doesn't make you a top 200 lap time.

But top times on the LB, yes alot can be attributed to driver skill, but alot also has to go to the fact that the car they are using is dominant, and best in its class. The rebuttal to that is:

"But Alpha, why use anything less than the very best?"

The Answer: Logically, you are right. You shouldn't use anything than the very best.

Fun for some, is winning, plain and simple. Fun for others, is close competition, even if you dont win.

Trying to appeal and make a compromise between both is the hard part.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 1:46 pm

This is going to sound dumb but I think the reason that nobody really "likes" to run S5`s is that well would you like to drive it in real life? Personally when I play a video game like this I want to drive things I would never get to drive in real life like lambo`s and ferraris, and then everyone is like "crap well now I cant drive this ferrari I have to drive this audi to hang" but in all honesty the cars we all picked arent that different. We ran some S5`s and vodoo`s cayman last night against our team car and well they all have their strengths and they are all actually pretty similar really no 1 car destroyed everything so bad that it wasnt even a race I think the world series is gonna be a lot of fun, I like the guys in vodoo tech and from the few ive had dealings with AAM seems to be a bunch of good guys too (thanks again gibber for the driving tips!) so I dont care what im driving im looking forward to the tourney.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Great comments from everyone on this subject. A lot of vaild points.

All drivers that are competing tonight please don't forget to read the rules before racing as I won't have time to run through every rule.

What I will be mentioning in the lobby:

1. Pit window (this will be mentioned again in the race)
2. Yellow flag procedure. (this will also be mentioned again in the race if there is an incicdent)

Lastly communication is paramount on track. Accidents can be avoided when a little communication is in play. Although I am sure the odd incident is likely to present itself.

That being said, the main aim tonight and any subsequent night is to enjoy yourself. (Any disruptive behaviour in lobby or whilst the race is taking place with not be tolerated. I hate to bring this point up but it has been a point of concern in previous series').

Looking forward to meeting you all and racing with you later. Smile

I have sent out friends requests to all registered drivers, to enable me to invite people as quickly as possible.

DK
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi guys i agree with everything that has been said here. We as a team also looked at an alternative and tested many cars. Again they did not match the S5. But i also think if everyone has a stock tune which we at PEM Racing have raced in a few series, you can have a lot of fun. That is the reason we are all here. In stock cars it's the better driver on a certain track that wins the race and not the car. I cannot wait. I know for certain i am not the best driver by a long way but i can't wait for it to start.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:10 pm

4 hours till the flag drops, woo! Good luck everyone! ;D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Some thoughts from a newbie racing in the series. The S5 is a great car. I was trying Lambos to Ferrari to Vettes to Viper. The closest I came was the'10 Audi S4! (What kind of marketing agreement do they have with Turn 10?)
Regardless, I was faster in the S5 - and didn't want to be. I've been avoiding leader board cars simply because the idea of an S5 beating a Lambo is nonsensical. Then there's the fun of making Vipers AWD, or dropping a ZR1 LS9 engine into a Chevy Aveo. What's next, JATO rockets or hover mode? But these are the constraints of the game - and kudos to those who figured out an S5 would spank all others.
Moving forward, instead of looking at it as limiting car choices, why not look at real world match ups? There in the game. From Fairlady vs. Supra to Ferrari vs. Lambo. We wouldn't have to limit it to two, it could be 4 or 5, as long as their similar. I think this could be a lot of fun because (I) it's realistic (II) it would tighten the field and make for great competition and (III) put us in cars that maybe we don't drive much - allowing us to have fun with more of the 415+ cars instead of sticking with our standard favorites. (Two examples of this are :(I) The Range Rover racing we did last night as a team - to date that was the MOST FUN I've had playing this game. (II) The R3 race class only cars we ran 4 quick races with - we were neck and neck almost every lap of every race.)
Just some thoughts - sorry to ramble on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 6:11 pm

that does bring another thought to mind, Specfic Car races such as the Land Rover only. (similar to that other league some of us were in with the Ram series) Having an off the wall group or single car can be a lot of fun. Kinda off topic from this series but just another thought
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 7:25 pm

Stevil1399 wrote:
Some thoughts from a newbie racing in the series. The S5 is a great car. I was trying Lambos to Ferrari to Vettes to Viper. The closest I came was the'10 Audi S4! (What kind of marketing agreement do they have with Turn 10?)
Regardless, I was faster in the S5 - and didn't want to be. I've been avoiding leader board cars simply because the idea of an S5 beating a Lambo is nonsensical. Then there's the fun of making Vipers AWD, or dropping a ZR1 LS9 engine into a Chevy Aveo. What's next, JATO rockets or hover mode? But these are the constraints of the game - and kudos to those who figured out an S5 would spank all others.
Moving forward, instead of looking at it as limiting car choices, why not look at real world match ups? There in the game. From Fairlady vs. Supra to Ferrari vs. Lambo. We wouldn't have to limit it to two, it could be 4 or 5, as long as their similar. I think this could be a lot of fun because (I) it's realistic (II) it would tighten the field and make for great competition and (III) put us in cars that maybe we don't drive much - allowing us to have fun with more of the 415+ cars instead of sticking with our standard favorites. (Two examples of this are :(I) The Range Rover racing we did last night as a team - to date that was the MOST FUN I've had playing this game. (II) The R3 race class only cars we ran 4 quick races with - we were neck and neck almost every lap of every race.)
I agree that to have a series race where unrealistic cars are allowed seems very unattractive
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Stevil1399 wrote:

I actually really like the ideas presented here. Personally I favor originality and trying out different cars all the time. Don't get me wrong I still have my favorites (the R34 and Z06) But you rarely ever see anyone use fun cars just for the heck of it, like a Countach, or '70 Challenger. Personally, I'd really like to see(and have been considering hosting) a muscle car tournament because I've become really saddenned with how often they go untouched in serious races. Although within that you always argue whether converting one to AWD is still in the spirit of American Muscle or not...
But the reason I'm going off on this tangent is because personally, I would've loved to drive the '70 Challenger in this event, but I most likely would not have been competitive enough to keep up with some of the skill I've already seen displayed in previous series... But considering that a constant statement is made in FLR about having fun, it would be nice to see some originality spawn from "having fun." Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks to everyone who raced in the EU lobby. Good clean racing Smile

I will be posting results a little later. Very pleased with how the EU lobby went, definately a credit to all who attended. Here's looking forward to the US lobby later Very Happy

DK
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Awesome.

Sorry to bring this all back up about the leaderboard killers and stuff like that...but i just had a thought.

What about Racing wheels? dont they also give an unfair advantage? would we bann using a race wheel becasue you can get a faster time with it?

just a thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Personally, I think it's what you get use to, talking about wheel vs a controller. I use the wheel and I can be smoked by some that has never used the wheel. A friend of mine does both and says he faster with the controller.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:20 am

Thanks to everyone in the US lobby. You all showed patience whilst people sorted out problems with connecting. A pleasure to race with you guys.

Again good clean racing, Smile I will be posting results later after I have had the chance to view the race replay. (it's after 5:00am for me now) Very Happy

Looking forward to the Friday class races. See you all then Smile

DK
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 3:26 am

Aye Goog I understand where you comming from, but its the same for the S5. Some people are really good with it and can smoke other people, and some people just plain dont like it. Its preference Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 pm

let me guess what cars came in the top 3 would it be the s5 by any chance thats one thing i like about this World Series everyone using non leaderboard cars great work guys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:08 pm

US lobby actually had FIVE 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi's... And one Porshe Boxter... lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:38 pm

Yeah well you`d better watch it kaz or else I`ll plug my modem in and punt ya out of the lobby!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Last night was fun. I only glanced at the replay last night and here is what I can recall. The race was pretty uneventful, but the fight for 3rd was contentious for a while. Metal Kaz 3 held up pretty well in his Boxter, while I followed him and Metzkill1. I believe Metz went for a pass around lap 3 or so and went off slightly, allowing me to get by. Then I was able to exit around turn 8 or so pretty well and snuck by Kaz. I pitted around lap 8 and had a horrible cold tire lap. Metz pitted later and came out so close we almost hit each other. Metz ran a great cold tire lap, as he stayed on my tailpipe the whole lap. On the next lap Metz took turn 6 and 7 better than I did. He caught me off guard and I didn't defend the inside line and he got under me heading into turn 8. I left way too much room though trying to avoid contact and went off the track. By the time I got back on Metz was about 2-3 seconds ahead and I could never regain much of that time until the last lap.

I'd say the only drawback from last night is if The Mac Show is as good on the other tracks as he was on Mugello, the results of this series might be a foregone conclusion. I think if he was on a public lobby he would have been kicked.

I obviously have a lot of work to do if I want to be competitive with everyone else in the next races.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Dominic Mako wrote:
Last night was fun. I only glanced at the replay last night and here is what I can recall. The race was pretty uneventful, but the fight for 3rd was contentious for a while. Metal Kaz 3 held up pretty well in his Boxter, while I followed him and Metzkill1. I believe Metz went for a pass around lap 3 or so and went off slightly, allowing me to get by. Then I was able to exit around turn 8 or so pretty well and snuck by Kaz. I pitted around lap 8 and had a horrible cold tire lap. Metz pitted later and came out so close we almost hit each other. Metz ran a great cold tire lap, as he stayed on my tailpipe the whole lap. On the next lap Metz took turn 6 and 7 better than I did. He caught me off guard and I didn't defend the inside line and he got under me heading into turn 8. I left way too much room though trying to avoid contact and went off the track. By the time I got back on Metz was about 2-3 seconds ahead and I could never regain much of that time until the last lap.

I'd say the only drawback from last night is if The Mac Show is as good on the other tracks as he was on Mugello, the results of this series might be a foregone conclusion. I think if he was on a public lobby he would have been kicked.

I obviously have a lot of work to do if I want to be competitive with everyone else in the next races.

Mac is FREAKISHly Good...

I still don't understand how he does it..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Well I'm sorry that I had that good of a race last night. But to be told I'd be kicked out of a public lobby.... I can't help but to be feel offended. I don't think i did anything wrong except run a good race. I defenatly don't have to run the races if that's the feeling of everyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 pm

The Mac Show wrote:
Well I'm sorry that I had that good of a race last night. But to be told I'd be kicked out of a public lobby.... I can't help but to be feel offended. I don't think i did anything wrong except run a good race. I defenatly don't have to run the races if that's the feeling of everyone.

I'm not going to speak for Mako, but I think he meant that you would have been kicked from a public lobby because of how good you are.

I have seen that happen before, where the dominant racer was kicked out simply because he was "too good".

By no means did I mean any disrespect from my comment, and I don't think Mako meant either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.   FLR World Series Discussion and Comments. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FLR World Series Discussion and Comments.
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next