Finish Line Racing: A Global Forza Racing Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finish Line Racing: A Global Forza Racing Community

Race Hard, Clean, and Fair. Have Fun!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to Finish Line Racing, Guest!
| • • • |
Check out the latest Update! Click Here
| • • • |
Please be sure to read the FLR Offical Acceptable Use Policy!
| • • • |
Please remember to become a fan of FLR on Facebook and follow @FLR_League on Twitter for all news and updates!
| • • • |
If you need any Official FLR decals, just search "FLR" on the storefront!
| • • • |
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

Lotus Esprit V8

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Toasterr x
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Lotus Esprit V8 Empty
PostLotus Esprit V8

So, another car that we decided to do is the Lotus Esprit. It's arguably the most under-rated car in the game, and we wonder why. In January I had a tune for the Lotus Esprit and I loved it, even if it was lacking a little bit on the straights. But then again, Lotuses aren't supposed to be drag strip dynos. They live to go around corners. Sure, the design and the technology is getting on a bit now when you compare them to cars like the Beamers and the Mercs that they fight against. One might say that it's a losing battle, but I didn't think so. There isn't really anything wrong with this car. It has 350 hp and weighs 2850 lbs stock, so it's certainly no slouch on paper. Plus, since it's a Lotus, it should be incredible in the corners. All this, for a reasonable 45,000 CR. Why isn't it used more?

We took it out for a drive, on a track that suits it well - the Mazda Raceway. The car got off of the line great and powered down the straight to get to the corner in no time. It didn't take long, though, for the weakness of this car to make itself shown. Turn-in? What's turn-in? The steering felt pretty numb, with a fair bit of body roll. The only point where you felt the steering kick in is when you got a kick in the backside from hopping on the throttle too quickly. Despite this, though, the grip to the road was good, with little understeer. Once you got out of the corner, it blasted out so quickly you'd think it was AWD. All in all, though, not a terribly fun car to drive for a length of time.

So, a lot of work to do. We decided that B500 wasn't enough PI points to fix the car's turn-in issues and still keep it competitive, so we brought it up to A600 instead. One thing we've found out so far is that RWD cars mainly suffer from the same problem - great in the corners, but seriously lacking on the straights. To combat this, and since this car's platform is so stable, we put mainly engine upgrades to this car, bringing it from 350 to 463 hp. We also fitted uprated springs, sport weight reduction, an improved driveline and a differential. We didn't bother with aero - it does more harm than help if the car is already light and puts a lot of rubber to the road. Satisfied with the way the car drove, we took it to the hoppers. After the S5 and the Lambo drivers stopped laughing at my choice of car...

...I then went to humiliate them. Extreme stability in the corners, great entry and exit speed, this car lives to hit apexes. It's not bad on the straights either - while it's only got 463 horses, it turns out to be more than enough to lug the car around and keep up with the Lambos and S5s on the straights. This turned out to be my biggest surprise yet. I went to run the car on Catalunya to test if this car really is that fast - it was a full second faster than any other A600 car up there. I think I've discovered a new leaderboard car - I raced for hours in the hoppers and only lost 3 or 4 times to a Viper - and even then, I kept it in sight. This is one of the best RWD A class cars I've ever driven, and I swear I'm not saying that because I love Lotus cars. This is genuinely an incredible all-rounder car for the money. I highly suggest you have this car in your garage - it's one of FM3's biggest surprises.

TUNE IS AVAILABLE ON MY STOREFRONT FOR 5K CREDITS, OR AN UNLOCKED VERSION BY REQUEST.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Lotus Esprit V8 :: Comments

Retpetty
Re: Lotus Esprit V8
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:22 pm by Retpetty
have to admit i had overlooked this car for so long but ima get one today for sure. could i get the tune for this please Smile

EZT MAKO 6669
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:27 pm by EZT MAKO 6669
Great write up! Can't say as I'm surprised by your findings though, I have a couple of Lotus' in my garage and I love them.
Soulfire XP
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:31 pm by Soulfire XP
nice write up as usual Smile this make want to buy a Esprit now. I will check out some tunes including the one you made and may do a review on it if Ive got spare time (school hasnt been kind this term)
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:13 pm by Guest
I driven this several times stock against others and people seem to really like it or really hate it. I'm used to tuning my cars with a bit of understeer, so perhaps that's why it's never bothered me.
turtletime74
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:11 pm by turtletime74
Lovin the write ups and good job. I just picked up an esprit on the AH last week tuned to A600 but haven't drove it yet. Will difinitely be see this car out because I love the styling.
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:11 pm by Toasterr x
Retpetty wrote:
have to admit i had overlooked this car for so long but ima get one today for sure. could i get the tune for this please Smile

I'll have it over by tomorrow Very Happy

MAKO 6669 wrote:
Great write up! Can't say as I'm surprised by your findings though, I have a couple of Lotus' in my garage and I love them.

I know that the Exige and the 2-11 are short track annihilators, but I've never seen an Esprit online. I think this will be my new favourite car for A class - I just need to find that DeLorean paint on the SF again and then I'm killing AWD noobs in style. *puts on shades*

SoulFire XP wrote:
nice write up as usual Smile this make want to buy a Esprit now. I will check out some tunes including the one you made and may do a review on it if Ive got spare time (school hasnt been kind this term)

That would be appreciated Very Happy Let me know if you need the tune, I'll gift an unlocked version.

Dominic Mako wrote:
I driven this several times stock against others and people seem to really like it or really hate it. I'm used to tuning my cars with a bit of understeer, so perhaps that's why it's never bothered me.

I tune my cars not necessarily with oversteer, but so that the turn-in and steering response are as lightning quick as possible. I think I've driven a car you've tuned and I found it pretty good, you never know xD

turtletime74 wrote:
Lovin the write ups and good job. I just picked up an esprit on the AH last week tuned to A600 but haven't drove it yet. Will difinitely be see this car out because I love the styling.

Let me know if you need the tune, I'll happily gift it unlocked so you can mess with the setup.

Mainly the 5k overhead on the SF is there to donate to us so we can continue to buy and test cars. I still have another 10 to throw up here, but I'll be spacing them out, lol
Rockon2dawn
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:29 pm by Rockon2dawn
This car is wikid, almost became EUR's Team Car, but was beaten by the Aston
SoulTerror08
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:47 pm by SoulTerror08
Was one of my favorite cars in GT2.
Rockon2dawn
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:04 pm by Rockon2dawn
Any chance you could send over an unlocked version of this tune? Razz Could really do with fixing the brake pressures for my own preference Smile you did a really good job Very Happy
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:17 pm by Toasterr x
Sure thing. Tune sent.
Post  by Sponsored content

Lotus Esprit V8

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Finish Line Racing: A Global Forza Racing Community :: Give 'Em a Chance-
Jump to: